Sayed Ibrahim Hashimi has a comprehensive article (and sample script) on automating the creation of installation packages using MSBuild and the Windows Installer XML toolkit, or WiX. WiX is Microsoft’s toolset for building Windows install packages, released under an open source licence. Microsoft used WiX to develop the Office 2007 installer.
- Sayed’s article: WiX Tricks: Automate Releases With MSBuild And Windows Installer XML – MSDN Magazine, March 2007
- WiX homepage on SourceForge
- A WiX tutorial
- Jeff Wharton has some WiX snippets to configure IIS from your installation package.
- Windows Installer Reference on MSDN
- Tutorial on using WiX and Votive (VS integration) on MSDN, including a handy list of Votive preprocessor variables.